HomeShoppePublications and ResumeDisclosure

 

Thursday, March 8, 2012

WOW! Metal Flowers

Hello friends! Today I wanted  to share a "Metal Flower" technique that is also posted on the WOW! blog today.   They're actually aluminum as they are made using Pepsi cans.  YES!  If you have Sizzix or Accucut flower dies, it works like a dream.  I don't know how this would work with other dies or diecut systems.  I've used Tattered Florals, Sizzix Die and Accucut Diecut System. and WOW!  Rich Gold Pale Embossing Powder.

The two flowers near the top have one coat of embossing powder.  Notice on the bottom flower, I used 2 coats and it caused the embossing powder to crack.  I like the look of both but if you don't like the cracked look, one coat will suffice.
Another close up.
Use caution as these are aluminum and the edges may be sharp.
Here's how to make your own.
Start with an aluminum can.  I used wire cutters to cut through where the drink hole was.  Scissors work well for the rest of the cutting on the can.
Cut the top and bottom off the can.  You'll end up with a rectangular piece that is ready to diecut.
Diecut flowers.
Using VersaMark Pigment Pad rub the entire surface of the flower, sprinkle with embossing powder and heat emboss.
Repeat these steps for each flower.
Using a paint brush handle, curl the petals.
Use Helmar 450 Quick dry in between the layers of the flower.
Add a bead or pearl to the center, if desired.

Easy Peasy, huh?  Now you can make your own metal flowers!  The best part is, it's eco-friendly and costs very little :)  Let me know if you give it a try...I'd love to see :)



16 comments:

Micupoftea said...

what a creative and pretty upcycle project! I can imagine these being used on hair barrettes and more! Happy March :)

Valerie-Jael said...

These are lovely! I like the effect of double embossing too, very grungy! Valerie
PS I am back home!

KarinsArtScrap said...

wow jan these are looking awesome.
you have made these very beautiful.

greetings karin

1CardCreator said...

These are gorgeous Jan, who would ever suspect that they come from a soda can!

Art From The heart said...

Wow & Wow ! jan these are gorgeous!
Hugs

Audrey Pettit said...

What cool flowers, Jan! Love that you can craft these from recycled cans. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan. I am so pleased you posted this. I was going to have a go at making some flowers from cans but didn't know whether it would blunt my dies. TFS! They look fabulous.
Regards Florence x

Lori said...

Awesome flowers..anything metal is right up my alley and you nailed this one. Beautiful

Lynne Moncrieff said...

You always amaze me with your creations and these are no exception, beautiful.
Wishes
Lynne

Jingle said...

These look great!

Dawnll said...

These are wonderful!
love they can be made so inexpensively

Sara said...

amazing flowers. thanks for the turorial. Hugs Sara

cheryl said...

these are brilliant Hun Allie,on create and craft uses cans,all the time,but yours is just stunning Hun,amazing,hugs Cherylxxx

Angi Barrs said...

What a fun technique and a great way to recycle. Must try this soon!

Kim said...

Totally creative! Way to recycle Love it:)
~Kim

Unknown said...

These flowers are great! I want to try but I know what I am like around sharp things lol! Maybe I could wear thin gardening gloves cos I think I will have to give this a go. THanks for sharing.